Posted to alt.home.repair
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default Has anyone made or considered a very low cost UndergroundStormShelter ? Need some advice.

dpb wrote:

... Even tying it down with heavy
logging chain to burried anchors is no guarantee it will stay where
you put it - and no guarantee it will stay intact either.

Oh, you could tie it down easily enough.

Penetration and integrity would depend on actual construction and
materials, primarily door connections, etc.

I'm just not sure what their actually built from to judge absolute
survivability. As noted above, Texas A&M has good data/guidelines on
structure requirements and building techniques.

The effects _can_ be designed for, it just takes far more for the truly
extreme event than most folks can comprehend.

--

Penetration is not an issue, everyone seems to have missed that I am
going to *bury* the container.

The FEMA publication I noted was mostly produced with T A&M tornado lab
data.