Posted to alt.home.repair
olddog olddog is offline

Default Solar Fans vs. Wind turbines

"texan1" wrote in message
m...
Seems like we need to replace a roof after most recent storm in our
(Dallas,TX) area.I'm thinking about putting impact resisting shingles and
since it requires
more ventilation I can't decide if I should put additional wind turbines
or have a solar fan installed instead. Our electric bill is not that high
during the summer so I'm not sure if there is any benefit of having a
solar vent + we have plenty of wind to keep turbines rolling.

Any advice will be appreciated.

I looked at solar powered vents too but I came to the conclusion they would
have to be replaced periodically. I bought wind turbines and then we got hit
by that hail storm in Austin. I had some roofers come out and one said he'd
install a ridge vent for free, with a new roof of course. (Lon Smith
Roofing, They are in Dallas too) I took that est. and called a local roofer
and he said he could match it. So I took the turbines back to Homedepot.

Problem with turbines is you have to put in so many. I have a small 1700 sq
ft house and the roofer told me I'd need 6 turbines.

Efficiency wise the ridge vent is supposed to be the best current technology
and can be installed for about $450 to $800 for a 36 ft ridge on a single
story. These are est. I got from two different roofers.

Let us know what you end up with.

od