Posted to rec.woodworking

Default The hund for a replacement drilll press, sorta long

Leon wrote:

Rockwell uses 2 nuts separated by a flat washer to limit down travel
of the quill. For the height nuts to stay in place I have to
tighten
them against each other with a pair of pliers, they tend to work
loose and do that "Craftsman router thing" if I simply hand tighten
them.

That's why pliers were invented.

My experience is it is a great depth gage if you use pliers for final
setting.

A 16-speed, 3/4 hp, floor drill press Is pretty basic "jelly bean"
offering.

Uses 3 sheaves and 2 belts to make speed changes.

Never had a problem with vibration on mine.

Make sure you have a gear and rack to lift/lower table.

Make sure quill is equipped with std morse taper (Joe AutoDrill time).

Equip with a removeable machinest vice to insure easy location of
drill bit on work piece.

(Drilling a hole 1/64 off sucks)

IMHO, a drill press is definitely a KISS product.

Have fun.

Lew