Posted to uk.rec.audio,uk.d-i-y
John Stumbles John Stumbles is offline

Default DAB portable radio with SD record/play mp3 & batteries

I'm looking for a portable radio with the ability to play back music from a
memory card[1] when there's nothing good[2] on the radio. This seems to
point in the direction of DAB + SD where the SD is intended for recording
from the radio but can also play back mp3s. These sorts of things seem to
have the ability to 'rewind' radio (presumably only off DAB, not FM) so
I'd be choked if it couldn't record what it's rewound, e.g. if I suddenly
find myself listening to something I'd like to record I can rewind back to
the beginning and record from there.

Apart from that I'm after something fairly rugged I can take out when I'm
working and might get a few knocks and some dust (another reason not to go
CD) with decent sound for classical music as well as pop in a noisy
environment, but not too big - more cerial-box size than ghetto-blaster.

And have any manufacturers caught up with the fact that AA NiMH cells,
rather than C-size, are the sweet spot for capacity versus price?

The only model I know that does the SD-mp3-playback and rewind-recording is
the Evoke 3, but it's very silly money ... and uses C-cells :-( - and
what about the sound, aren't they a bit wimpy?

[1] because I CBA with burning silver dics and carting them around
anyore when I can get more onto a postage-stamp-sized gizmo that costs as
much as a bottle of gutrot wine

[2] for values of 'good' defined by myself ;-)

--
John Stumbles

The astronomer married a star