Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Elbrecht Jim Elbrecht is offline

Default Has anyone made or considered a very low cost Underground Storm Shelter ? Need some advice.

On Thu, 16 Apr 2009 10:47:43 -0500, Douglas Johnson
wrote:

"Pete C." wrote:

I considered building a combination pantry / safe room next to my
kitchen where I have space, however it would cost substantially more
than my cargo container design, and that is 100% DIY for either.

I wouldn't worry about it. Tornadoes cause about 80 deaths a year in the US.
There are 465,000 deaths from tobacco use, 365,000 deaths from poor diet and
inactivity, 85,000 from alcohol, 26,000 from motor vehicle accidents, 21,000
homicides, and 7,600 deaths from aspirin. There are 365 deaths a year from bath
tubs (drowning and falls). -- Doug

I might argue with your numbers for tobacco and diet but. . .

As long as you're scaring folks-I just saw this number last week and
it blew my mind- 195,000 deaths from medical errors in hospitals.
http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/11856.php

That would make it the #3 cause of death on the CDC's list for 2005-
the latest I could find-
http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/FASTATS/lcod.htm
[behind Heart disease @652K & cancer @559K, but ahead of Stroke at a
mere 143K]