Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon Leon is offline

Default The hund for a replacement drilll press, sorta long

"Joe AutoDrill" wrote in message
Leon,

This will probably only get you started but...

Here are the estimated prices and basic HP ratings of a few:

Delta DP400 or 17-900 (3/4 HP $400)
Jet JDP-17MF (3/4 HP $550)
Grizzly #G7944 (3/4 HP $325)
Grainger #3Z917 (1/2 HP $650)
Jet JDP-20MF (1-1/2 HP $1100)
Grizzly #G7948 (1-1/2 HP, $625)
Grainger #3Z919 (1 HP, $1100)
Ellis #9400 (2 HP, $2000-3000 - Ask for dealer pricing)
Grizzly #G0521 [Drill/Tap Machine] (2 HP, 3 Phase, $1250)

One benefit of the G0521 is the fact that you can tap holes without having
to purchase a tapping head. It has a built in, self reversing spindle
option.

One of the most important things to know is the horsepower requirement and
RPM needs for your applications. You can see the following web pages for
charts to calculate your actual needs in very basic form:

http://tinyurl.com/ToolSpeeds
or
http://www.multi-drill.com/drill-speed-chart.htm

Thank you Joe! I my primary use would be for wood working, the auto tapping
feature is something that I have not really considered or for that matter
even knew existed. I'll try to go with at least 3/4" hp as you suggest.
That is really what I have been looking at, oddly my Rockwell have never
"seemed" to be low on power even with it's 1/3 hp motor. I'm sure twice as
much power would come in handy with the larger bits.
So far and similar to your first suggestion I am looking closely at the
Delta 17-959L, $579 locally.

Thanks again for you expert input and links, I'll check'em out.