Posted to uk.d-i-y
chris French chris French is offline

Default Automatic garden watering

In message , nightjar
writes

"Timothy Murphy" wrote in message
What is the best way to set up a system
for watering a garden every 2 or 3 days, say?
Can one buy devices that do this?

There are multi-channel seven day controllers designed specifically for
this, but I've only seen them on sale in French garden centres, along with a
huge array of semi-professional grade automatic watering fittings. In
Britain, the usual offering is Hozelock or Gardena, which I have been very
disappointed with.

I'd not recommend Hozelock timers, I've found them very unreliable 9I've
had two die on me for no obvious reason and my parents had one dies on
them as well) The Gardena ones seem a bit better.

I've used 'generic' version of the Hoselock fittings fine, which were a
fair bit cheaper

I also used an alternative system that doesn't require timers, Tropf
Blumat, which responds to the drieness of the soil..

The system uses ceramic probes inserted into the soil/compost, as the
soil dries out the valve in the probe opens to allow water through.

Bit more expensive, but system is very reliable and works well. And
doesn't water the plants unnecessarily when it rains.

http://www.blumat.at/Weninger_engl/seiten_engl/frameset1_engl.html
http://www.twowests.co.uk/TwoWestsSite/category/TROPF.htm

Plenty of old discussions from uk.rec.gardening to be found on google
groups.

--
Chris French