Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default 1970s Soffits - Asbestos?

Geo wrote:
On Wed, 15 Apr 2009 09:57:51 +0100, "TheScullster" wrote:

Does anyone know whether the soffits in 1970s houses tended to contain
asbestos?
Our house is looking well-tatty as all the paint is flaking and falling off
the soffits. They look suspiciously like asbestos boards.

snip
Ours are similar (1969). The problem with painting them is getting a decent
surface to start with. Removing the old flaky paint with sandpaper (above my
head) did not a brilliant idea so minimal preparation with sugarsoap. The "new"
paint has only lasted a few years and is flaking off again.
I also wanted to fit some vents for the loft space but my experience in cutting
a 100mm hole for an extractor fan has put me off. The damn stuff is almost
imposible to drill or cut. Had to nibble away at the hole with a pair of
electricians pliers.
Still, they must have used asbestos cement boards for some reason so
plastic/wood does not seem like a good replacement.

Wonder what paint you used. Did you wire brush it first?

NT