David Hall

Default Reconditioning hand plane

"Michael Daly" wrote in message . cable.rogers.com...
On 20-Oct-2003, (David Hall) wrote:

You said it
was going to be a user so I don't really see why the need for perfect
chrome on the lever cap.

I just want it to look nice. And close to the original look.

Clean it up, polish if you must, put on some
wax and (assuming the rest of the tuning and sharpening have already
been done) make some shavings.

That's what I'll do for now. Someone suggested electrolysis to remove
chrome, but that would make for a hazmat bath that I'd have trouble
getting rid of. So I'm just going to sand the lever cap down and clean
it up. Maybe polish it up to 1500 grit, but that's about it for now.

It's mostly reassembled now and looks nice with a clean paint job. The
tote and knob need to be fine sanded and treated and the blade sharpened.

Mike

I can understand, the Miller Falls lever cap with its chrome and red
lettering does look so much better than a Stanley.