Posted to alt.home.repair
LouB LouB is offline

Default Is there anything that ants can't crawl on?

wrote:
LouB wrote:
wrote:
On Tue, 14 Apr 2009 21:13:59 -0400, Nate Nagel
wrote:

Am starting to have problems with ants in my kitchen, they seem to
be specifically going after the breadbox which sits on the counter.
Don't see them anywhere else in the house. Is there something that
I could set it on that they wouldn't be able to crawl up to get into
the breadbox? Kitchen is pretty clean, having just cleaned up after
doing some work in there. Cleaning up any currently uncleaned areas
would involve pulling the bottoms out of cabinets etc. Can't see
where they're coming from, although I thought I saw one crawl out
from inside a corner cabinet with a lazy susan in it (great. I'm
sure that'll be fun to take apart.) No food is stored in that
cabinet though so that makes no sense.

nate

My advice, teach them to stop eating bread. Make a bait with about 1
part boric acid and 12 parts bread crumbs. You might not kill the
whole colony as the legend implies but you can make them stop eating
bread. I have taught my ants to stop eating just about everything in my
house. Sugar was a slam dunk, Terro does that. Then I worked my way
through the proteins, dog food, bacon grease chicken fat etc You
will think you killed them all when they take the bait, but they will
be back, just a lot more selective in what they eat.
They still walk around here occasionally but I never see them swarming
on anything I have baited them with.

True story: I saw some little ants. Bought Terro. Put the UNOPENED
package on the counter. Ants disappeared and have not come back!!

Lou

They musta' heard about it on the internet - crawling on yer' network
cable, perhaps? )

LOL

Lou