Posted to alt.home.repair
Pat Pat is offline

Default lawn sprinkler system

On Apr 14, 6:48*pm, wrote:
On Apr 14, 2:37*pm, Pat wrote:

On Apr 14, 11:13*am, wrote:

On Apr 14, 10:51*am, Pat wrote:

On Apr 14, 9:32*am, "trailer" wrote:

I'm currently considering a lawn sprinkler system for my front (only) yard.
I would have this installed through a lawn sprinkler company.

Since I've never had a lawn sprinkler system, I was wondering about the
advantages/disadvantages of installing and using one.

Currently, I just use the regular type sprinklers (using hoses) to water my
yard. *I would expect that an underground sprinkler system would provide a
better way of covering my yard.

Would a sprinkler system save me money and use less water? *The quoted cost
for installed system is well above $2K from a respected company.

I live in northern Texas.

Go green. *Plant native species and don't water them at all. *It saves
time, money and the environment.

If you plant the right species and don't water them, their root
systems will adapt. *If you water them all of the time, they don't
grow sufficient roots.

Don't water them? * Them what? * Since he has a lawn, the them would
be turf grass. * Certainly there are turf grasses that are more
drought tolerant, but if he wants a green lawn, he's going to have to
water.

Or are you suggesting he let his lawn grow up in native weeds and go
uncut?

I am suggesting the he, and others, should consider planing lawns
using native varieties of grasses that suite the local climate and
don't need watering. *

You don't need native grasses to do that. * There are plenty of
drought tolerant turf grasses available that are suited for lawns.

One does not HAVE to water a lawn once the grass
has taken hold if you plant the right variety of grass. *If you water
your lawn, you develop roots that are short because they don't need to
go into the ground vary far to get water.

The turf won't have short roots if you water it properly, which is to
do it deeply once or twice a week.

*If you cut back or

eliminate your watering, the proper grass will develop roots that are
deeper and better able to extract water from the ground. *Contact your
Cooperative Extension agent to find what will work for you and where
you live.

Yeah, but most people think it looks like hell when it goes dormant.

Watering grass, once it's set, just wastes water. *In some areas of
the country, who cares there's plenty of it. *

Apparently you do, because you told him to stop watering his, without
regard to how much water is or isn't available.

But in those areas, you
don't need to water your lawn anyway. *In areas without much water,
wasting water is a real concern and therefore it probably shouldn't be
used for lawns.

He said he's in northern Texas. That's not exactly Seattle.