Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
mac davis[_5_] mac davis[_5_] is offline

Default First problem with Nova DVR-XP

On Tue, 14 Apr 2009 14:41:41 -0400, Gerald Ross wrote:

Noticed that the indexing pin would not drop down completely to lock
the headstock. I looked through the inspection window and saw that it
was riding on the top of the indexing ring. Unscrewed the handwheel
(it is a left-hand thread), and removed the end plate. The set screw
had completely backed out of the indexing ring, allowing it to drift
outward about 1/4 inch. I replaced the setscrew using some blue
loctite after dropping the setscrew and having to find it with a
magnet. All is well now.

I'm guess you mean the spindle lock?

I've had mine loosen twice so far, no big deal, really..
I noticed that the knob rotated a lot more and that it was higher on the
headstock than usual...
Removed the backing plate screws, rotated the plate a bit and got a wrench in
there to hold the nut while I hand-tightened it with the knob..
Only a temporary repair, but my Hand wheel didn't want to come off and I didn't
want to force it, so I couldn't remove the end plate..

My fault that it's too tight... I put the ram rod through the handwheel and
against the headstock lock when I'm removing chucks, so I've really tightened
it, I guess..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing