Posted to alt.home.repair
gpsman gpsman is offline

Default Is there anything that ants can't crawl on?

On Apr 14, 9:13*pm, Nate Nagel wrote:
Is there something that I could
set it on that they wouldn't be able to crawl up to get into the
breadbox?

You could hang it from the ceiling on greased monofilament.

Kitchen is pretty clean, having just cleaned up after doing
some work in there.

"Clean" is a relative term.

I thought I saw one crawl out from inside
a corner cabinet with a lazy susan in it (great. *I'm sure that'll be
fun to take apart.) *No food is stored in that cabinet though so that
makes no sense.

Insects are like water leaks; where you see them is not necessarily
where they're coming from (or going).

Ants are not the dominant species on this planet for nothing.

Generally, by the time a homeowner sees ants, they've been around for
some time, and perhaps a colony has grown so large relative to the
available food supply (or is experiencing other "stress") that the
colony "splits".

As a former PCO treating for ants I would use (1) Talstar, or (2)
Tempo (WP or SC), and maybe Delta Dust, all available to homeowners
without license.

(In the late '90s) I would shoot your kitchen for about $60, w/o
warranty, or your entire structure (or whatever part of the structure
is yours) for about $240 with a 6 month re-treat warranty that you
won't see ants anywhere inside 30 days after treatment.

Often if not usually there is access to squirt under cabinets above
the kick plate.

Just because you don't see ants is no evidence they are not where you
can't see them, which is why I am not a disciple of "baiting".
-----

- gpsman