Posted to alt.home.repair
Nate Nagel Nate Nagel is offline

Default OT Why is the fax machine not dead

aemeijers wrote:
Nate Nagel wrote:
aemeijers wrote:
wrote:
On Tue, 14 Apr 2009 08:40:02 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Apr 14, 10:44 am, Pat wrote:
On Apr 13, 11:42 pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:

On Apr 13, 7:40 pm, metspitzer wrote:
When I bought my printer, I got it with a fax machine because I
still
need it. Many people will let me scan something and email it to
them
(snip)

I scanned my signature and I paste it on word docs I Email. Nobody who
would take a fax has ever refused it. It is still not an original
document, no matter how you send it electronically.

Mostly, but no longer 100% true. Laws, case law, commercial
practices, and bureaucratic rulebooks are slowly starting to
recognize digital signatures using PKI certificates from a
'recognized' certificate storehouse. (like verisign, et al.) They
have been promising 'next year' for several years to have a
'certificate bridge' gateway so private companies can interact with
the Fed Gov and the certificates they use. Lotsa companies with Fed
contracts already routinely do contracts and PO's with electronic
sigs, and they never hit paper. I use electronic sigs routinely on
legal docs that stay within the government.

Another 20 years (if it all doesn't fall down), and I think FedEx'd
or faxed contracts will be a quaint historical curiosity. Remember,
it has only been a few decades since they stopped using sealing wax
on contracts. ('signed, sealed, and delivered' was not referring to
an envelope and the USPS....)

--
aem sends...

I still have a few customers who insist on hand signed documents in
blue ink. whaddayagonnado? If it gets a job, I'll sign it and throw
it in an envelope.

nate

For enough cash, I'll get in the car and hand-deliver the original.

That too. BTDT fairly recently in fact.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.