Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default OT Why is the fax machine not dead

Nate Nagel wrote:
aemeijers wrote:
Nate Nagel wrote:
Bryce wrote:
metspitzer wrote:

When I bought my printer, I got it with a fax machine because I still
need it. Many people will let me scan something and email it to them
to avoid a long distance call, but not everyone.

I called the bank today to dispute a direct draft charge to my
checking account. The girl said she would fax me a form. I asked her
if she could just email it to me. She said....no sir, we can't do
that.

So I am waiting on a fax as we speak. I only have one line so my fax
and voice share the same phone number.

Fax machines should have died 15 years ago. They should at least give
them an email address.

Businesses are faxaholics. I've never owned a FAX machine or even a
scanner/printer with FAX capability. I just use a faxmodem card in
my computer to send/receive. For many communications, I can go
paperless by faxing the output file from my wordprocessor or doing
an on-screen display of an incoming fax saved to disk.

Like you, I have only one phone line, but for occasional fax use,
it's enough.

Up until maybe a year or two ago, people would fax me stuff all the
time. Due to the fact that our fax machine at work was an unreliable
POS and possibly also due to the onward march of technology, more and
more people are printing directly to .pdf and/or scanning and
emailing, and I am glad of this.

Of course, my work email account has a 2MB quota, because our IT
people don't see the need for employees to be emailing large files,
so that creates other issues, like I can't leave more than a week or
so worth of emails on the server or my mailbox fills up and I can't
receive any more email. OK if I'm in the office, but if I want to
leave stuff on the server so I can deal with it from home over
webmail... well not so much.

nate

They still let you bump your work email from the outside world? They
killed our webmail interface a couple of years ago. If I want to work
from home, I have to drag the company laptop home and VPN in. They
even locked out the USB ports so we can't use external drives.

--
aem sends...

I can't even do that. Got a new laptop recently and the wireless card
was disabled. What the heck good does it do to give me a laptop that I
can't use outside the office? On the upside yes I still have webmail
and USB works, which is good because that's the only way I can get
pictures off my camera (there's so many different reasons why a picture
is literally worth more than a thousand words sometimes)

nate

Your router at home doesn't have places to plug a cable in?
--
aem sends...