Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected][_2_] norminn@earthlink.net[_2_] is offline

Default lawn sprinkler system

trailer wrote:
I'm currently considering a lawn sprinkler system for my front (only) yard.
I would have this installed through a lawn sprinkler company.

Since I've never had a lawn sprinkler system, I was wondering about the
advantages/disadvantages of installing and using one.

Currently, I just use the regular type sprinklers (using hoses) to water my
yard. I would expect that an underground sprinkler system would provide a
better way of covering my yard.

Would a sprinkler system save me money and use less water? The quoted cost
for installed system is well above $2K from a respected company.

I live in northern Texas.

I would not do it any other way. Coverage is uniform and and only where
you want it. No hoses to drag around. Nothing to do but check it once
in a while. Easy to maintain. With proper mowing (not too short, esp.
in hot, dry weather) you might save money. If you have spare cash, you
can even install a tank for liquid fertilizer and fertilize through the
irrigation system. I checked those out for our condo - don't recall the
cost, but it wasn't horribly expensive. If lawn care is your favorite
sport, then keep the hose.

Don't run mower over sprinkler heads and you won't have a lot of
repairs. If doing repairs, be sure to keep soil out of the line so you
don't clog up heads. If you need to make repairs and you have fire
ants, spread a little Amdro around the nests couple of days before
working....BTDT.