Posted to alt.home.repair
Jerry Jerry is offline

Default lawn sprinkler system

trailer wrote:
I'm currently considering a lawn sprinkler system for my front (only) yard.
I would have this installed through a lawn sprinkler company.

Since I've never had a lawn sprinkler system, I was wondering about the
advantages/disadvantages of installing and using one.

I think the main advantage is convenience. You install it with a
controller, set up the timer, and forget about it. As opposed to
dragging the hose and sprinkler around, and turning it on and off.
Also helps if you're on an extended vacation - you won't come back to
a brown lawn.

They are not that difficult to install yourself. The Toro and Rainbird
websites have a lot of good information for the DIY'er. You can save
yourself a lot of digging by renting a trencher for half a day. Gluing
the pipes together is not something that requires a lot of skill. I
did my back yard - twice. Once before having a pool built, and again
after the pool construction tore everything up.

Jerry