Posted to alt.home.repair
RickH RickH is offline

Default lawn sprinkler system

On Apr 14, 8:32*am, "trailer" wrote:
I'm currently considering a lawn sprinkler system for my front (only) yard.
I would have this installed through a lawn sprinkler company.

Since I've never had a lawn sprinkler system, I was wondering about the
advantages/disadvantages of installing and using one.

Currently, I just use the regular type sprinklers (using hoses) to water my
yard. *I would expect that an underground sprinkler system would provide a
better way of covering my yard.

Would a sprinkler system save me money and use less water? *The quoted cost
for installed system is well above $2K from a respected company.

I live in northern Texas.

How much water you use is up to you and how you program the schedule.
I suggest you also get the rain sensor installed, this way the
sprinkler will not run if it is raining outside. I think you can even
get ground moisture sensors now to prevent the schedule from running
if the ground already has enough moisture. Being in TX you wont have
to get it blown out every year for freezing so your seasonal
maintenance will probably be zero. It is a helluva lot easier than
hoses. The time and effort the sprinkler system has saved me is worth
more than the water, but then again I live in Great Lakes area where
water is pretty cheap and in some towns still free. Time is money and
dragging hoses is not something I like to do on weekends.