Posted to alt.home.repair

Default lawn sprinkler system

On Apr 14, 10:51*am, Pat wrote:
On Apr 14, 9:32*am, "trailer" wrote:

I'm currently considering a lawn sprinkler system for my front (only) yard.
I would have this installed through a lawn sprinkler company.

Since I've never had a lawn sprinkler system, I was wondering about the
advantages/disadvantages of installing and using one.

Currently, I just use the regular type sprinklers (using hoses) to water my
yard. *I would expect that an underground sprinkler system would provide a
better way of covering my yard.

Would a sprinkler system save me money and use less water? *The quoted cost
for installed system is well above $2K from a respected company.

I live in northern Texas.

Go green. *Plant native species and don't water them at all. *It saves
time, money and the environment.

If you plant the right species and don't water them, their root
systems will adapt. *If you water them all of the time, they don't
grow sufficient roots.

Don't water them? Them what? Since he has a lawn, the them would
be turf grass. Certainly there are turf grasses that are more
drought tolerant, but if he wants a green lawn, he's going to have to
water.

Or are you suggesting he let his lawn grow up in native weeds and go
uncut?

And don't be afraid of a weed or two. *It's a lawn, not a carpet.

Call your local cooperative extension agent for water-free suggestions.