Posted to alt.home.repair

Default lawn sprinkler system

On Apr 14, 10:45*am, Tony Hwang wrote:
trailer wrote:
I'm currently considering a lawn sprinkler system for my front (only) yard.
I would have this installed through a lawn sprinkler company.

Since I've never had a lawn sprinkler system, I was wondering about the
advantages/disadvantages of installing and using one.

Currently, I just use the regular type sprinklers (using hoses) to water my
yard. *I would expect that an underground sprinkler system would provide a
better way of covering my yard.

Would a sprinkler system save me money and use less water? *The quoted cost
for installed system is well above $2K from a respected company.

I live in northern Texas.

Hi,
You will save water.- Hide quoted text -

I would suspect that in most cases instead of saving water, you will
use a lot MORE water. Relying on hose type sprinklers means there is
usually work involved, ie rolling out the hose, placing the
sprinklers, moving them, taking them away to mow, etc. Which I would
suspect leads to the lawn not getting watered as much as if it's on a
automatic set schedule with no effort.

First thing I'd do is calculate how much water you need and where it's
coming from. It takes about an inch a week of water to irrigate an
average lawn. More in high temps or with soil that dries out
faster. If you are on muncipal water and have to pay for it, that
can be a big factor and it may be cost justified to put in an
irrigation well too.

If you do want a nice green lawn all season, then an inground system
is definitely the way to go though.