Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT Why is the fax machine not dead

JIMMIE wrote:
On Apr 13, 7:34 pm, The Daring Dufas
wrote:
metspitzer wrote:
When I bought my printer, I got it with a fax machine because I still
need it. Many people will let me scan something and email it to them
to avoid a long distance call, but not everyone.
I called the bank today to dispute a direct draft charge to my
checking account. The girl said she would fax me a form. I asked her
if she could just email it to me. She said....no sir, we can't do
that.
So I am waiting on a fax as we speak. I only have one line so my fax
and voice share the same phone number.
Fax machines should have died 15 years ago. They should at least give
them an email address.

Some folks consider a FAX to be more secure than E-mail.
In some ways it is. It's a lot harder to intercept a FAX
than an E-mail. I know how but I'd have to have access to
your phone line. Someone who knows how, can access your
E-mail or computer from the other side of the world.

TDD

Actually faxes or voice can be easily intercepted if you know how and
you dont even need access to the phone line but you do have to go
through a hell of a lot of security. It used to be that a phone tap
was made by directly connecting to the wires of a particular phone.
Now that can be done from a computer at the telco office or by
remotely connecting to that computer. I still think faxes are more
secure.

Jimmie

Yea, back when Ma Bell changed over to electronic switches,
the feds coerced them into building in a back door just for
the alphabet agencies.

TDD