Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub[_3_] HeyBub[_3_] is offline

Default OT Why is the fax machine not dead

The Daring Dufas wrote:
metspitzer wrote:
When I bought my printer, I got it with a fax machine because I still
need it. Many people will let me scan something and email it to them
to avoid a long distance call, but not everyone.

I called the bank today to dispute a direct draft charge to my
checking account. The girl said she would fax me a form. I asked
her if she could just email it to me. She said....no sir, we can't
do that.

So I am waiting on a fax as we speak. I only have one line so my fax
and voice share the same phone number.

Fax machines should have died 15 years ago. They should at least
give them an email address.

Some folks consider a FAX to be more secure than E-mail.
In some ways it is. It's a lot harder to intercept a FAX
than an E-mail. I know how but I'd have to have access to
your phone line. Someone who knows how, can access your
E-mail or computer from the other side of the world.

It's a lot harder to make copies of a fax transmission (not the resultant
fax, the electronic signal) and replay or reproduce it. It's harder to
archive a fax. A fax is designed to be a one-to-one communication, wherease
emails are often one-to-many.