Posted to alt.home.repair
Nate Nagel Nate Nagel is offline

Default OT Why is the fax machine not dead

Bryce wrote:
metspitzer wrote:

When I bought my printer, I got it with a fax machine because I still
need it. Many people will let me scan something and email it to them
to avoid a long distance call, but not everyone.

I called the bank today to dispute a direct draft charge to my
checking account. The girl said she would fax me a form. I asked her
if she could just email it to me. She said....no sir, we can't do
that.

So I am waiting on a fax as we speak. I only have one line so my fax
and voice share the same phone number.

Fax machines should have died 15 years ago. They should at least give
them an email address.

Businesses are faxaholics. I've never owned a FAX machine or even a
scanner/printer with FAX capability. I just use a faxmodem card in
my computer to send/receive. For many communications, I can go
paperless by faxing the output file from my wordprocessor or doing
an on-screen display of an incoming fax saved to disk.

Like you, I have only one phone line, but for occasional fax use,
it's enough.

Up until maybe a year or two ago, people would fax me stuff all the
time. Due to the fact that our fax machine at work was an unreliable
POS and possibly also due to the onward march of technology, more and
more people are printing directly to .pdf and/or scanning and emailing,
and I am glad of this.

Of course, my work email account has a 2MB quota, because our IT people
don't see the need for employees to be emailing large files, so that
creates other issues, like I can't leave more than a week or so worth of
emails on the server or my mailbox fills up and I can't receive any more
email. OK if I'm in the office, but if I want to leave stuff on the
server so I can deal with it from home over webmail... well not so much.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel