Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stuart B[_4_] Stuart B[_4_] is offline

Default CH Draining Problem

Following on from my problem yesterday with the rad Bleed Screw
failing I decided to do what I had intended doing soon anyway .
I switched the boiler off ( and power too) and shut the cold water
inlet .I then opened the drain valve and the rad valves and bleed
screws as well. This the first time I have drained the system and I
noticed that the valve only turns about one half turn whereas I'd have
expected it to turn more .
The valve was fitted by the guy who fitted the boiler about 18 months
ago and it can be seen here .
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...n/IMGP0108.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...n/IMGP0109.jpg
I removed the handle to make it easier to see.

The system is the two 22mm pipes from boiler to hall and 10/12mm from
that point on via a manifold . The new rad in the hall is not
connected up yet so I opened up the old valves ( as they need to be
removed ) and there was water coming out so I continued draining them
until they stopped running. I then cut in to a 10mm pipe leading to
another rad that I was removing and water came out from the boiler
side of that pipe and showed little sign of stopping so I closed the
pipe with molegrips . I've decided to leave it for a while .
Is there something I am missing here .All the rads are drained so the
problem appears to be between the hall and the drain . Is it possible
the drain valve is only opening partially and I just need to leave it
longer ...but it has been open all night !!! The cold inlet is
definitely closed properly .
Any ideas ?

Any posting using my name and/or e-mail address
but other than by newsindividual.net is not being posted by me and should be disregarded .
Remove NOSPAM to reply by e-mail