Posted to alt.home.repair
Oren[_2_] Oren[_2_] is offline

Default OT put a cork in the barrel

On Sun, 12 Apr 2009 18:13:32 -0400, mm
wrote:

OT So, if you are a navy SEAL and you're carrying a gun, intending
to use it as soon as you pop out of the water, do you have to put a
cork in the gun barrel, so the barrel doesn't get any water in it?

I heard once that water in a barrel will cause the barrel to explode
or something when the bullet hits it.

I'm sure water could leak into most other guns from the rear end of
the barrel, but I figure there are ways to prevent that. But the
front end of the barrel has to be either unobstructed or easily
cleared.

Note to self: Keep barrel pointed up and keep ammo dry.

I'll guess combusting gases from the barrel would expel water.

And btw, did the captain jump into the water a second time, like I
first heard, or was he sitting in the lifeboat?

Early reports do say he jumped again. Shots fired! Night vision tools
help.

Jumping a second time would give a chance for a three round burst.