Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Intermittent flickering on 2 separate circuits

JIMMIE wrote:
On Apr 12, 12:41 pm, "Big Bob" wrote:
I've got to agree with RBM here. It sounds like the neutrals have a bad
connection someplace.
It's easy to find a bad breaker, but it's tough to find a bad neutral. Shut
the breaker down, start at the receptacle giving you the problem and check
every connection from that point to the breaker box. You may have to use use
a circuit tracer to find all the connections.

"RBM" wrote in message

"Toasty" wrote in message
The flickering coincides on 2 separate circuits that I know of.
This is not the brief interruption of electricity that occurs when a
major appliance starts up.
A licensed electrician inspected the circuit breakers for ground,
broken buss bars, signs of arcing and loose connections, but found
nothing. He also inspected the utility company's electric meter for
loose connections and signs of arcing.
One of the circuits has a refrigerator and microwave oven connected to
it (2 separate electrical outlets on same circuit). I notice the
clock on the microwave oven dim and hear the refrigerator cut off at
the same time. Also, a fluorescent lamp flickers at the same time the
electricity to a modem is cut off on a different circuit (2 separate
electrical outlets on same circuit).
What could affect 2 separate circuits and cause this flickering?
It depend upon the circuits. If they happen to be an Edison, or multiwire
circuit, which share a neutral for both circuits, the neutral can be
loose at the panel or the location where the two circuits split- Hide quoted text -

We have annual maintenance at work that requires us to check the
connections on all the breakers. It says nothing about checking the
neutrals. I do it anyway. This omission is interesting because I have
found more problems with bad neutrals than I have ever found with
breaker connections.

Jimmie

On commercial service calls I can often take the
cover off a conduit box and have one or more wire
nuts fall off when I pull the wires out. Makes me
wonder who's training todays electricians.

TDD