Posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.antiques.radio+phono
N_Cook N_Cook is offline

Default Does Bakelite/ Catalin expand with age?

And while at it , what glue, or whatever, breaks down over decades to give
the small of rotted horse manure, not fresh, maybe referred to as a
"caproic" (goaty) smell . You open up some kit and there is that small

that
can saturate the workroom for hours before it dissipates.

I asked an industrial chemist about this and he suggested it was Caproic or
Hexanoic Acid and I would suggest it was from use of rendered down horse
bones for horse glue in plywood making or cabinet joining before PVA glues
came in.

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England