Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DoN. Nichols DoN. Nichols is offline

Default Source for LCD monitor?

On 2009-04-10, Wild_Bill wrote:
I was fairly certain about what you were looking for, Rex, but the more I
search, there just don't seem to be many LCDs in that size range that don't
cost quite a bit (costing as much as a 17-19").

:-)

I think the market for 10-12" 4:3 aspect ratio monitors was fairly limited,
mostly to commercial equipment, and essentially none were made as TV/DVD
displays before home video equipment transitioned from 4:3 TV/VCRs to
widescreen displays for DVDs.

I use a couple of smaller 4:3 LCDs for video camera images, but they might
not be as comfortable to look at for your purpose.

SONY FDL-X600 5.9" color LCD presently going for ~$200 (orig $2300)

Of course, he doesn't *need* color. This is a purely B&W video
output. :-)

Everfocus E220N 5.6" CCTV/security color LCD going for $150+ (with accy pkg,
MSRP ~$400)

I don't think you'd want to use a 6" LCD display for your lathe,

Hmm ... depends on how his eyes are for close focus. The screen
is something like 13 lines by 32 characters, so it may well remain
legible. Put it on an arm so it is closer when you are programming.
(It also serves as a DRO when manually moving things with the buttons.

I just checked, and my CRT monitor is 8.5" diagonal. It is on a
shelf above the lathe, with a fluorescent light mounted to the underside
to contribute to work lighting. (There is also a hinged arm one for
spot lighting.

and 10-12"
seem to be non-existent. As I mentioned before, the smaller 7-10" widescreen
TV/DVD screens may stretch the video width-wise.

Again -- no problem. There are no graphics here -- just
digits and upper-case only text. Zeros are slashed, and I'm not even
sure whether any likely text uses a letter 'O' anyway. (Perhaps in one
of the other languages supported.) It does not even bother explicitly
showing the decimal point, it is simply assumed that the resolution is
0.001" or 0.01mm. (Hmm ... maybe it is spelled out at the top of the
programming and DRO screens. :-)

Some 15" PC monitors may have a Video In connector (most/many do not), so
15" TVs will most likely be the most commonly available displays.

I'm still not sure why he needs a LCD monitor instead of a small
CRT monitor. The power consumption is not that different in sizes like
that. And it can be plugged into an outlet on the back of the lathe to
be powered on only when the lathe is switched on.

eBay has a 12" CRT monitor (auction #200294292553) currently for
$48.51 (or best offer).

This one will probably be closed by the time you see this, but
it is a 7" one (#180344067240) which works with PAL and NTSC and has RCA
phono plugs for inputs. (I think that they are confused, however, as
they show two connectors for video in, and one for audio -- the reverse
of the normal with stereo audio. :-) Currently at $52.09 . But it needs
12V DC power input, not the AC line, so unless you have a 12W 12V power
supply on hand, you'll need to get more stuff to use it.

Oh yes -- it is also in Hong Kong. :-)

Hmm ... this one (# 120404335662) looks like what you need,
except that you will need to make a housing for it. $22.50 and in
California.

If you want to look through more of the listings (I'm about 3/4
of the way down the first page of 13 total), you might want to use my
search string to limit the number of hits to something reasonable.

+Video +monitor +small +LCD -camera -Microsoft -computer

Unless you get lucky and find one that's cheap, LCD monitors made for the
security/surveillance market are generally over-priced, probably just
average quality for above average prices, although they may have some
additional features that are of no interest to you.

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564