Posted to alt.home.repair
miamicuse miamicuse is offline

Default How to fur out wall with 2" PVC drain in the way?

I have a bathroom with an exterior concrete block wall that I intend to fur
out 3" or so. The shower valve, the recessed medicine cabinets etc...are
all going to be taking up that space. I intended to have a PT 2x4 as top
and bottom plates and just use regular studs every 16" or so.

However, along this 12' long bathroom, I have a PVC drain that goes across
about 9' of that 12' length. It is a lav drain but also serves as a wet
vent, hence it needs to be 2". The fittings that fits outside of the 2"
pipe makes it even wider.

With this pipe running across much of this wall about 18" or so above the
floor, there is no way I can put any studs on the bottom plate without
cutting 90% of that stud out.

Does it mean my only option is to fur out more depth (like using 2x6) or
chip the concrete wall to recess the pipe (which I don't want to do along
that much distance.

Any thoughts or comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

MC