Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
ATP* ATP* is offline

Default Cleaning an HVLP gun

GeoLane at PTD dot NET wrote in message

I picked up a used Campbell Hausfeld HV2500 2-stage turbine and HVLP
gun, but without manuals.

I've never owned this type of rig and it didn't come with a manual or
parts breakdown. I wasn't able to find parts breakdowns or
instructions for the gun, and only a very brief description of the
turbine at the manufacturer's web site, so I'm flying blind.

I'd like to thoroughly clean the passages of the gun AND its exterior.
It's been used with a variety of paints and stains. What's a good /
safe way to clean this?

Thanks
RWL

There are some manuals available, keep looking. I have more experience with
the Accu-Spray guns and CapSpray. Some parts have to be soaked, you will
probably need the right rebuild kit or at least compatible O-rings, and the
air pickup tube usually needs to be replaced. There is a plastic cap under
the lid which acts as a one-way valve for the portion of air that slightly
pressurizes the cup, that usually gets full of gunk. The alternate way to
run an HVLP gun is with a paint hose for material delivery to the gun and
use the turbine air only to form the pattern and spray the paint.