Posted to alt.home.repair
Colbyt Colbyt is offline

Default Wood Floor and Subfloors

"Mark" wrote in message
"Always" is pretty inclusive. My home, built in the 40's has joists that
run both ways. In my living room area they run front-to-back in relation
to the house, while in the rest of the original home the joist run
side-to-side. The 1x6 subfloor does run at a 45 (to both obviously), but
the hardwood runs front-to-back so than means it is parallel to the joists
in the living room area. I've been here 30+ years and haven't noticed any
problems one way or the other.

You are right. Always was a poor choice of words. One of our former homes
was built much like you describe.

I really think a big part of the lasting part is the subfloor on the 45
degree angle. That and the fact the sub floor was hand nailed and well
secured. Neither of which are very likely in modern construction.

Colbyt