Posted to alt.home.repair

Default how to run copper pipe/pressure ? for back up sump

On Apr 11, 3:10*am, "Rick Samuel"
wrote:
"chrisc" wrote in message

I am installing a water powered backup sump pump which works on
pressure. My water pressure isn't that high About (38psi at a faucet),
but a guy I know who lives on the same street had one of these
installed (by a plumber) and said it worked fine. My pipe is all 1/2"
in the house. I was going to install a 3/4 fitting at the water meter
and use 3/4 pipe for the backup pump. And I was going to put a reducer
going to the rest of the house from the meter. I was wondering if I
should run the pipe up and along the ceiling. The pump is going to be
across the room in the basement. I assume it's stupid to run it low to
the ground and possibly *against code? I am trying to keep it as
straight a run as possible. But, right now, i'm looking at a few turns
and of course the rise from the meter to the ceiling.
I have read and heard (even from plumbers) that increasing the
diameter of my pipe will get me more pressure. I have also read and
heard that doing so will only increase volume. Thanks

*A larger pipe will not give you more pressure, but will increase the flow.

It will give you more pressure for that same flow rate. If you
start out with a given pressure at the beginning of a pipe, the
pressure at the end will be less as the flow rate increases. The
larger the pipe, the smaller that drop will be for the same flow rate.

I'd run the pipe as you would any plumbing job. The shorter the
distance and the less elbows the better. And I'd run it along the
joists, not across the floor.

Till you go back to 1/2" line. *Pressure is set by your location, relative
to the standpipe/pump that supply the water.
*Was going to say check water pressure at the meter, but others on your
street have the same problem.