Posted to sci.electronics.repair,aus.electronics,uk.radio.amateur
Bryce Bryce is offline

Default Does multicore solder deteriorate with age?

Eeyore wrote:

Ian Jackson wrote:

In message , "Dave Plowman (News)"
writes
In article ,
William Sommerwerck wrote:
PS: I'm bothered that electronic products increasingly have RoHS
labels on the box, and statements that they use non-lead solder. I
really /don't/ believe that a lot of lead is leaching from waste sites
into the water supply, so we aren't likely to see much, if any,
reduction in the amount of lead (and lead compounds) in our water
supply (is there any hard science on this?), while the reliability of
electronic products is likely to decline.

I like to say that there is no such thing as a hazardous substance.
The hazard occurs from how the substance is used (or misused).

I believe - in Europe at least - it's more to do with H&S in the work
place rather than the environment.

More like job creation for the legislators in Brussels.

Oh those morons. They screwed this one up rotten. Heard of WEEE ?
Implemented nowhere as far as I can see. My local council didn't even
reply to a request as to where I should dispose of old computers or CFLs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waste_E...nt_Directiv e

Graham

Here in the former Colonies, we have solved a more vexing disposal problem:
what to do with nuclear power plant waste. We just keep dumping it into
the pools conveniently located adjacent to each plant. After a while, it
decays to (um) lead?