Posted to sci.electronics.repair,aus.electronics,uk.radio.amateur

Default Does multicore solder deteriorate with age?

In article ,
William Sommerwerck wrote:
I believe -- in Europe at least -- it's more to do with H&S in the work
place rather than the environment.

I know of no cases of lead poisoning from the use of lead-based solder. I
touch solder directly when I work with it, and am not worried about lead
getting into my system.

Oh indeed. But the cynic in me says H&S legislation is more to prevent any
chance of an employer being sued than the actual health of the workforce -
especially if any incurred charges can be past on to others.

I have no argument with people worrying about the huge amounts of
electronic equipment being dumped into landfills. The issue is whether
potentially hazardous substances in that equipment actually get into the
air or water.

Well lead is one of the easiest extracted metals so certain parts of the
world are already 'contaminated' with it. It's a bit different when it's
modified so large concentrations can be airborne.

--
*It IS as bad as you think, and they ARE out to get you.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.