Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob F Bob F is offline

Default how to run copper pipe/pressure ? for back up sump

chrisc wrote:
I am installing a water powered backup sump pump which works on
pressure. My water pressure isn't that high About (38psi at a faucet),
but a guy I know who lives on the same street had one of these
installed (by a plumber) and said it worked fine. My pipe is all 1/2"
in the house. I was going to install a 3/4 fitting at the water meter
and use 3/4 pipe for the backup pump. And I was going to put a reducer
going to the rest of the house from the meter. I was wondering if I
should run the pipe up and along the ceiling. The pump is going to be
across the room in the basement. I assume it's stupid to run it low to
the ground and possibly against code? I am trying to keep it as
straight a run as possible. But, right now, i'm looking at a few turns
and of course the rise from the meter to the ceiling.
I have read and heard (even from plumbers) that increasing the
diameter of my pipe will get me more pressure. I have also read and
heard that doing so will only increase volume. Thanks

Larger pipe will reduce the pressure loss at any given volume. The higher the
volume, the more drop a given pipe will have. If the pump uses a lot of water,
the larger pipe should give better performance.