Posted to sci.electronics.repair,aus.electronics,uk.radio.amateur
Ian Jackson[_2_] Ian Jackson[_2_] is offline

Default Does multicore solder deteriorate with age?

In message , Theo
writes

"Davo" wrote in message
Theo wrote:
For rosin read resin.
Or as multicore called it - "Ersin"

As a youth I used Bakers Soldering Flux and Aluminium foil to make
Hydrogen for our lighter than air balloons. Bakers Soldering Flux was 32%
Hydrochloric Acid.

Caustic Soda and Aluminium works much better for producing hydrogen, but you
have to watch the temperature as the mixture gets mighty hot and tends to
produce steam too.

In the days of coal gas, I used to inflate balloons using our gas tap under
the sink. I once let one go with a card attached and I got a reply from over
100 miles away!

The gas we get now jest aint light enough!

"When I were a lad"....

4 aluminium milkbottle tops (the tops, not the bottles!), Tizer bottle,
conc hydrochloric acid, balloon stretched over neck of bottle. When
balloon full, remove from bottle, and tie neck.

Prior to release, cotton string plus Jetex fuze wrapped around neck of
balloon. Light string, and blow out flame, leaving it to smoulder.

Release. Balloon rises into the blue. Smouldering string reaches Jetex
fuze. Fuze ignites and fizzes. Balloon explodes with either a loud bang
(if the hydrogen contains a fair proportion of air), or a whoop (if it
is pure).

You'd probably get 20 years for doing that today!
--
Ian