Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

Default Driveway solar-Powered Lights ?

On Apr 10, 9:34*am, "Luckyme" wrote:
"Robert11" wrote in message

Hello,

Regarding those solar powered small lamps that are useful for outlining a
driveway:
HD and Lowe's has them from several mfg's; usually in packs of 6 or 8 for
around
$ 30 or so.

Do they really work ?
After a summer day soaking up sunlight, will they illuminate all evening ?
Reasonably bright ?

Live in New England.
What happens in the winter with considerably less sunlight ?

How do they actually work ?
Just by using a solar cell to charge a capacitor, or... ?

Thanks,
Bob

They work, but as everyone said, they give out very dim light. *They usually
don't last a whole night. *In winter, if it is in snowy regions, it is
advisable to store them away. *I think more expensive ones will last a bit
longer and give out more light. *I have some over two years old and they're
still working without changing batteries.

I dont' have any problems with the light output of mine, and when new
they did last all night. They're just **** quality - one of them
snapped off at the top of the pole; the rest you can see that the
solar cells are all milky (should have used glass rather than plastic
for the "skin" over the cells) and all of them if you pull them out
of the ground you can see where the stakes just bent when they hit the
clay sub-soil rather than biting in.

If someone made a GOOD solar light I would not be hesitant to try it.
I've never seen one for sale though (online doesn't count, I have no
way of evaluating quality from a web picture)

nate