Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Hwang Tony Hwang is offline

Default CFLs use more energy than indicated

HeyBub wrote:
Twice as much.

"Every CFL light contains a small ac-dc power supply with reactive
components in it that will affect the CFL's power factor (PF) - that is, the
load presented to the ac line. The closer the PF is to 1, the better. A load
with low power factor (.85) draws more current and is less efficient than a
load with a high power factor for the same amount of useful power. ... These
power losses don't show up directly on our electricity bill, but the
utilities sure see the effects.

"I put one of my home CFL bulbs on my Kill-O-Watt power meter recently and
measured its power factor: It was .57. This is lousy. "

http://www.edn.com/blog/1470000147/post/450043045.html

Hmmm,
Would you kindly explain what PF is? And what is reactive component?