Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Bill J Bill J is offline

Default repairing an electret microphone

On Thu, 9 April 16:42, Arfa Daily wrote:

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Arfa Daily wrote:
I've never found them to be particularly heat sensitive
within common sense limits, but note that they are polarity
sensitive, as they contain a FET preamp which is phantom
powered via the output terminal ...

A few electret mic are phantom powered but the majority use a
form of AB power for the capsule.

I'm using the term "phantom powered" loosely Dave, in that the
audio out is floating on the DC in, because there are only two
connections, one of which is the FET drain terminal, the
series DC 'feed' resistor therefore actually being the drain
load resistor. The other terminal (also the capsule case) is
of course ground or FET source. Where there is this type of
power / signal setup, it is often considered generically, to
be 'phantom powered' ... Excuse my ignorance, but what's "AB
power" ?

Arfa

Makes sense to me. Unfortunately the term Phantom Powered can be
used too loosely and gets misinterpreted.