Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wild_Bill Wild_Bill is offline

Default Source for LCD monitor?

I was fairly certain about what you were looking for, Rex, but the more I
search, there just don't seem to be many LCDs in that size range that don't
cost quite a bit (costing as much as a 17-19").

I think the market for 10-12" 4:3 aspect ratio monitors was fairly limited,
mostly to commercial equipment, and essentially none were made as TV/DVD
displays before home video equipment transitioned from 4:3 TV/VCRs to
widescreen displays for DVDs.

I use a couple of smaller 4:3 LCDs for video camera images, but they might
not be as comfortable to look at for your purpose.

SONY FDL-X600 5.9" color LCD presently going for ~$200 (orig $2300)

Everfocus E220N 5.6" CCTV/security color LCD going for $150+ (with accy pkg,
MSRP ~$400)

I don't think you'd want to use a 6" LCD display for your lathe, and 10-12"
seem to be non-existent. As I mentioned before, the smaller 7-10" widescreen
TV/DVD screens may stretch the video width-wise.

Some 15" PC monitors may have a Video In connector (most/many do not), so
15" TVs will most likely be the most commonly available displays.

Unless you get lucky and find one that's cheap, LCD monitors made for the
security/surveillance market are generally over-priced, probably just
average quality for above average prices, although they may have some
additional features that are of no interest to you.

--
WB
metalworking projects

"RB" wrote in message
Wild_Bill wrote:
I've been looking at local stores and on eBay, for a small (10-12" or
15") LCD composite video input monitor or a dual-purpose video/PC LCD,
but not a widescreen (so the composite video doesn't get stretched) and
they aren't plentiful in my experience, or they cost as much as the
larger widescreen models ($200+).

In fact, that is exactly what I'm looking for.
And for the same machine Don Nichols has - Emco 5 CNC