Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Jim Yanik Jim Yanik is offline

Default Heat probe for localizing defective devices?

Meat Plow wrote in
:

On Tue, 07 Apr 2009 07:17:27 -0400, JW wrote:

Hello,

When doing repair work, I often run into components that fail to work
properly when they heat up. Usually, I use freeze spray to try to
localize the problem, but it's getting to the point where components
are becoming so close together that the freeze spray affects too many
devices on the PCB. Does anyone know of a off-the-shelf device or
piece of test equipment that would allow one to heat up individual
components on a circuit board? something that would have a tip maybe 3
to 5mm. square or so, and have a controlled output from 40-100c.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Old trick with freeze spray, hold can upside down and press just hard
enough to develop one drop on the end of the pipette. Takes a little
practice but you can control it well.

I use a soldering iron to heat components like capacitors. Usually
just a touch in the middle of a PC mount style or on the solder side.
These are both techniques that need a little practice but can be
valuable once you get the hang of it.

spray coolant onto Q-tip swab,press swab against suspect component.
repeat as needed.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik