Posted to sci.electronics.repair
whit3rd whit3rd is offline

Default repairing an electret microphone

On Apr 9, 3:35*am, Eeyore
wrote:
GregS wrote:

Is the electret mic particularly heat sensitive?
If so, what technique is recommended? *Already
I was careful to apply minimal heating.

It's a job that needs a lowish power or thermostatically controlled iron ( or a fast hand ! ).

If the job is heat sensitive, you want the iron HIGH power, up to
temperature,
and do the joint fast. A low power iron, especially if it's not
thermostat controlled,
is likely to take too long to get the joint up to temperature, and
THAT cooks
the nearby items.

If a joint takes more than three seconds to heat and draw solder, your
iron is too cold. If your iron stays on the joint for more than five
seconds,
the operator is too slow.

If the work is or might be critical, I always use an artist's small
paintbrush with
water-washable flux to prepare it. And, I wash it afterward (small
squirt
from a poly bottle with distilled water).