Posted to rec.woodworking
Robatoy[_2_] Robatoy[_2_] is offline

Default 1/2" panel in a 1/4" groove

On Apr 9, 2:58*pm, "Leon" wrote:
"Brian" wrote in message

I'm looking to make new cabinet doors and have a "how to" from
Workbench Magazine. *In the Shaker style, the plans call for a 1/4
slot in the middle of 3/4" stock (rails and styles) however the flat
panel they call for is 1/2" thick with a dado all around that's 1/4"
thick.

Why couldn't I just use 1/4" plywood? *Does the 1/2" stock somehow add
strength to the assembled frame or is it just so that the inside of
the panel is pseudo-flush with the inside of the frame? *I could save
a lot of time just using some 1/4" plywood that I already have but I
don't want to affect the integrity of the frame.

Thanks!

Leon now sez:

*Neither panel
will add integrity or strength as 99.99% of the time you don't glue the
panel in to start with. *It should float. *

Leon?????