Posted to rec.woodworking
Chris Friesen Chris Friesen is offline

Default 1/2" panel in a 1/4" groove

Brian wrote:
I'm looking to make new cabinet doors and have a "how to" from
Workbench Magazine. In the Shaker style, the plans call for a 1/4
slot in the middle of 3/4" stock (rails and styles) however the flat
panel they call for is 1/2" thick with a dado all around that's 1/4"
thick.

Why couldn't I just use 1/4" plywood? Does the 1/2" stock somehow add
strength to the assembled frame or is it just so that the inside of
the panel is pseudo-flush with the inside of the frame? I could save
a lot of time just using some 1/4" plywood that I already have but I
don't want to affect the integrity of the frame.

You certainly could use 1/4" plywood (but in this case the groove will
need to be less than 1/4", since plywood is undersized).

The thicker panel will feel more solid.

Chris