Posted to rec.woodworking
Nova Nova is offline

Default Inexpensive tenon and dovetail saws

Sledge Hammer wrote:
On Apr 9, 7:02 am, "sweet sawdust" wrote:

[response to MikeWhy's thoughts on the quality/lack of sharpening on non-Japanese saws]

With the best of intentions, MikeWhy took this away a little bit from
the question I had. I understand I might need to do some setting and
sharpening to get the saw ready to use, but that's a skill I'd like to
learn anyway.

I was hoping a few people might have experience with some of the
brands that fill in the middleground between the $10 Stanley saws at
Home Depot and the Adrias, Lie Nielsons, etc. of the world.

I called the traditionalwoodworker.com's customer service number and,
as I figured, the brands on a lot of their tools are not listed for
competitive reasons (which I think might cost them more in sales than
they save by "protecting" their market). I was told the "professional
German saws" I linked to http://www.traditionalwoodworker.com...p/cPath/37_651
were similar in type but better in quality than the Putsch handsaws
sold at Woodcraft: http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?FamilyID=4857
..

My advise would be to buy something inexpensive but serviceable to
experiment with and start hitting the garage sales and flea markets in
your area, keeping and eye out for some old Disston saws.

http://www.disstonianinstitute.com/dvtl.html

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA