Posted to rec.woodworking
Nova Nova is offline

Default Inexpensive tenon and dovetail saws

MikeWhy wrote:

"Nova" wrote in message

It looks like "Tools For Woodworking" is selling Pax and Gramercy
saws. Both are sold sharpened. Some of the Gramercy's indicate they
are a "hand-filed and hand-set saw for the smoothest action".

http://www.toolsforworkingwood.com/M...Category_Code=

The saws may not be set up the way you prefer but they are sharpened.

The quality of the steel in the saw will not change no matter how it's
sharpened.

Chisels are sold sharpened but usually unhoned. A honed chisel's edge
wouldn't fair well in shipping.

Let me know where you're buying the Pax or Gramercy for $50, let alone
for the pair. Of course you can buy them sharpened.

Who said anything about less than $50. You stated "Backsaws typically
come unsharpened." I asked to you to cite any saw that was sold
unsharpened.

You asked to see an example of saws sold unsharpened. This is but one:

http://www.toolsforworkingwood.com/M...egory_Code=TMQ

The saw referenced above is sharpened, "At 10" long with 20 tpi".

Call the chisels what you want. The edge isn't usable for much more than
staining the work with body fluids.

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA