Posted to rec.woodworking
MikeWhy MikeWhy is offline

Default Inexpensive tenon and dovetail saws

"sweet sawdust" wrote in message

Backsaws typically come unsharpened. They're not especially difficult to
keep sharp, but I don't find them worth the trouble. I use pre-sharpened,
disposable Japanese pull saws instead. One for one, the sharper, finer
saw gives the faster and cleaner cut. It's tough to beat the cheap ryobas
and dozukis. My most favorite saw for joinery is a moderately priced rip
dozuki.

I am wondering what is meant here, I have never seen a new saw, or chisel
for that matter, that was unsharpened by the maker. However I find that
Dovetail Saws. Gentleman's Saws, Razor Saws and such small back saws are
like new chisels unusable "out of the package". These small back saws
must be "resharpened" by the user to work properly for their intended
function, this usually involves removing some of the kerf of the blade
with a hone or file and touching up the teeth of the saw to fit it's use.
Once this is done the saw will cut much better often as well as the
Japanese pull saws if not better in many cases. Is that what you ment
MikeWhy when you refered to them as unsharpened?

Yes, that was what I meant. They didn't cut well at all straight out of the
package.