Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RB[_2_] RB[_2_] is offline

Default OT - Stand Proud Americans...

Roger Shoaf wrote:
"RB" wrote in message
Jeff Wisnia wrote:
Don't confuse what I'm about to write with something the first lady
said, but today I'm prouder than ever to be an american...

What I want to know is why don't merchant vessels allow armed crews?
Some sort of international maritime law, or what?
Seems to me an arms locker of some sort on a ship ought to be a Good
Thing. After a couple rounds the pirates might look for a different
line of work. The survivors, that is.

Probably because the bean counters have figured out that it would cost more
in the long run. Consider on one hand they might pay a ransom and get back
the ship and crew, but if it comes to a fight, and the pirates are able to
blow a hole in the ship they lose everything.

Think about being a sailor on a big cargo ship. You might have a rifle, but
the pirates have rocket propelled grenades.

I wonder how much damage an RPG can do to a typical cargo vessel?