Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.misc,alt.tv.tech.hdtv
Mark Zacharias Mark Zacharias is offline

Default NEC plasma TV: what's the cause of image "solarizing"?

"John E." wrote in message
obal.net...
This 8 year old NEC PX-42MP3A plasma has some -- what I'd call solarizing
effects. See this photo of the screen:

http://i41.tinypic.com/21c9ul1.jpg

Note the fine blue and red outlines on the cheeks of both faces. These
surround the highlights on the faces (cheekbones). (Disregard all the
horrid
horiz. and vert. lines -- those are due to moire effect with the camera.
They're absent on the TV screen).

I've adjusted all the controls (bright, contr, sharp). At extreme low
light +
low contrast the effects are minimized but still visible.

The specs in the manual say that the color reproduction is "RGB 256 color
steps 1677millions colors".

Is this something caused by poor design? Failing electronics? Or...?

This display is new to me, so I have no history to report.

Thanks,
--
John English

The panel is getting old. Possibly a Vs adjustment would fix it, at least
temporarily.

Mark Z.