Posted to rec.woodworking
Sledge Hammer Sledge Hammer is offline

Default Inexpensive tenon and dovetail saws

On Apr 9, 7:02*am, "sweet sawdust" wrote:
[response to MikeWhy's thoughts on the quality/lack of sharpening on non-Japanese saws]

With the best of intentions, MikeWhy took this away a little bit from
the question I had. I understand I might need to do some setting and
sharpening to get the saw ready to use, but that's a skill I'd like to
learn anyway.

I was hoping a few people might have experience with some of the
brands that fill in the middleground between the $10 Stanley saws at
Home Depot and the Adrias, Lie Nielsons, etc. of the world.

I called the traditionalwoodworker.com's customer service number and,
as I figured, the brands on a lot of their tools are not listed for
competitive reasons (which I think might cost them more in sales than
they save by "protecting" their market). I was told the "professional
German saws" I linked to http://www.traditionalwoodworker.com...p/cPath/37_651
were similar in type but better in quality than the Putsch handsaws
sold at Woodcraft: http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?FamilyID=4857
..